Saturday, May 10, 2008

"Alex...I'll take childhood rites of passage for 500 please."

There are many rites of passage as you proceed through childhood and one of them must be to get a hold of a pair of scissors when your mommy or daddy is not looking! We all know that you simply cannot keep your eyes on your child 24/7 so despite our best attempts to keep all dangerous or potentially dangerous items out of the reach of our children...we sometimes just fail.

Yesterday, I walked around the corner to a "play area" in our den and found some little "tuffs" of hair that appeared to have come from Analayne's head. We had been cutting with her little scissors the day before and I guess they were within reach. She apparently felt the need to give herself a little haircut and now she has some whispy bangs. My reaction when I saw her was to send her to time-out. As her mommy, I did not want her to think this "little act" was okay! Time out is like the worlds worst punishment for her, so she cried and cried. I only let her sit there for about 25 seconds (I can't stand it when she cries) and then I sat down with her and we talked about it.

Well, this is what I have to say about the situation, "it could have been much worse." Some kids basically scalp themselves with their home-made haircuts. However, Analayne managed to just give herself some nice whispy bangs that honestly look like I took her to the salon to get them done! I am not the biggest fan of bangs on little bitty round faces but I know they will grow! I can assure you that the scissors are now out of her reach---only to be used on paper with adult supervision. Nuff said about that... Now I will take "proud moments in motherhood for 200."


1 comments:

KT said...

you're right, her hair looks cute!
still thinking about using scissors, not quite ready yet!