Saturday, October 6, 2007

NO MAE...



Since Analayne's birth she has periodically heard me say "no Mae...NO!" to our cat. Usually when I am saying this the cat has gotten in the house and has decided to scratch at the carpet or attempt to get on the ledge above our sink. Typically when I am reprimanding the cat I clap my hands or yell at her really loud. I knew I was doing this but if you want something to come back and HAUNT you....then have a child and watch them imitate you. There is nothing like your sweet little cutie-pie imitating you as she runs all over the front yard, yelling "no Mae" and clapping her hands (you will notice in the picture that Mae has left our property to join the neighbors). However, if Mae knew better she would have realized that the neighbors have two little girls---which means they can yell louder and chase her longer!

I know pets are good for kids (or let me clarify that statement for my household.... "A PET" is good for a child). Child development research continually shows that a child that is exposed to animals in a loving and caring environment develops the ability to show compassion, care for others, develop skills of responsibility etc. In addition, some research has shown that children exposed to pets at an early age tend to develop less allergies.

I was born into a family with a cat. When my brother was 2 he wanted a pet (a dog...) but at the time money was tight for my parents and apparently my dad knew of someone that had a young cat for free. I guess, free was the key word and so that became the family pet. This cat happened to live for almost 23 years! As a young child I would dress her up and put her in my doll stroller and push her around. She would meow and look at me in distress, but nonetheless she endured. I am convinced that she knew that in her geriatric years I would be the one that would advocate for her. Even on her last day on earth (she was VERY Sick, unable to move, and in the long process of dying) it was me that wrapped her up in a towel, cried all the way to the vet and made the humane decision to free her of pain and sickness.

When Analayne finished yelling "no Mae..." and running around the yard, I watched as Analayne in her two-year old way began to play with the cat. She carried little rocks and twigs over to her and put them in a pile in front of her, each time saying, "here oouuuu go." I envision that it won't be long until Mae is being pushed around the yard or down the sidewalk in the wagon or doll stroller and when that happens I am not sure if I will cry or laugh myself crazy and wet my pants!

0 comments: