Friday, July 27, 2007

Good-bye Beloved Pacifier

We went to the pediatrician yesterday for Analayne's 2-year check-up. We got a clean bill of health and we had a great visit. However, her doctor encouraged me to help Analayne give up her pacifier. Russ and I were only allowing her to have it during nap times and at bedtime, but I knew the day would come when we would have to stop using the "paci" altogether.

Well, I am the type of mom that just has to make up my mind, change my course, and go for it. No "wallowing" around with the issue, no sulking and no turning back. You see, I had a pacifier when I was a baby, toddler, and preschooler (yes--I had the paci through several developmental stages) and it was very difficult for me to let it go. So when it came time for me to let the "paci" go my mom successfully bribed me with a pair of wonder woman under-roos!

So with my known personal history of "paci" use, I decided that there was no time like the present for Analayne to bid farewell to her beloved pacifier. So as soon as we got home from the doctor I went around the house gathered up all of the pacifiers and put them away. Then when it was time for Analayne's nap I told her "the pacifiers had to go bye-bye. All the little bitty babies needed them." She looked at me puzzled and repeated the word "bye-bye" and I layed her down for her nap. She cried a few minutes but then went to sleep (her nap was about 45 minutes shorter then normal). When Russ got home I told him what I had done. He looked at me and said, "okay, I don't want her teeth to be messed up." Then bedtime came and she cried for at least 20 minutes. It was so sad to hear her crying "paci...paci.." It broke my heart. I just wanted to go in there and give it back but then I thought she might get the idea that if she cried enough I would give in under any circumstance, so to alter my focus....I cleaned. Russ was very helpful and he continued to affirm the decision and he helped me clean (that was the best part of it all).

As we cleaned I thought about what a paci really is and then I decided to look up the definition of pacifier, according to Webster. Webster's Dictionary defines pacifier as: a nipple or teething ring for babies, or a person or thing that secures peace. Peace is a perfect word for what that little plastic thing brought to Analayne. She found great comfort in her "paci." She would cozy up and settle in for a long snooze. She would relax and gaze off and dream and best of all she would be comforted enough to stop crying. I started thinking, if this thing can bring so much peace to this little girl, why don't I get one for myself? Maybe I wouldn't snack so much during the day.

I also thought to myself---what earthly object do I find peace in that I don't really need? Where should my (our) peace come from? Thank God that I am a Christian and I know that my peace comes from the Prince of Peace! Once again, Analayne has provided me with another opportunity to reflect on my life, my feelings, my thoughts and my beliefs. What a blessing she is to me (and to her sweet daddy---Russ). Now... let's see if we can just get through another night without the pacifier!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

no need for paci's sweetie you can suck my c-ck anytime

Anonymous said...

agreed, my daughters never had pacis for long I gave them all daddys c--k, the youngest is 15 and I still f--k her when she stay's at my house